Monday 20 March 2017

Street where the riches of ages are stowed. Anything and everything a chap can unload Is sold off the barrow in Portobello Road. You’ll find what you want in the Portobello road (Portobello Road - Bedknobs and Broomsticks)


I remember being taken to the ABC cinema in Gravesend by my dear old Nanny Welch to see this film.  She always used to take me and my brother to the cinema and I guess this film, along with many more, hold fond memories.  I had to use this song today as that is where I ended up this weekend.

Saturday:  I have had a lovely day today. I met my dear friend Kim and her beautiful daughter Hazel at Euston station.  How many people do I always meet at Euston?  I know Kim from my job in 'the library' and we have kept in contact ever since.  We only used to work one day a week but have become dear friends. Kim and Hazel come into London today to spend the day with me.  How lucky am I.

We made our way up to Portobello Road.  This has been on my list of places to visit since arriving in London.  I rarely travel west so today was a good excuse. We looked around and Hazel treated herself to a beautiful dress which I too would have had if only they had it in my size.  We all chatted and laughed our way around the market, looking at all the 'stuff' on sale.  We then got back on the tube and made our way up to Oxford Circus and called into Liberty's.  Oh I like this store.  I think before we had even got to the third floor we had spent £3000 in our head.  Hazel saw some 'interesting' shoes for £650; whilst Kim liked the £5 bar of soap!  So funny. We were ladies who browsed and wished and left disappointed.

I had booked a table at Dishoom near to Carnaby Street so off we trotted.  We had a lovely Indian mean.  In fact, I have never had anything bad there as the food is so flavoured and a really amazing treat for your taste buds.  We just spent time chatting and laughing and putting the world to rights.  As you do. We had time to spare and just went for a walk along Oxford Street and it was soon time for us to say our goodbyes.  As always, all good things have to come to an end.  We did our hugs and goodbyes at Oxford Street and they went north and I, as always, went south.  I really had such a lovely day. It was just what I needed and if I needed anymore proof that this was the case, I went to bed at 9.30pm and did not even see the start of the news and awoke at 9.30am. Thank you so much Kim and Hazel for such a great day and we shall do it again soon and I will travel up to Birmingham to meet you.




Sunday:  Lazy Sunday.  My new 'drug' regime seems to be working (fingers crossed).  Caught up with Andy and he then went out for the day.  I was in two minds what to do, but we now have Amazon Prime and the fact that I was still sleepy I decided to give myself a relaxing day.  I left my phone in my bedroom so I was not distracted and then started to watch The Man in the High Castle. This is a theme for me at the moment.  The book I am reading is about if the Nazis had won the war and this TV series is the same.  Terrifying. The USA is run half by the Nazis and half by the Japanese.  So scary to think what could have happened.  It was quite nice to have the flat to myself to be honest. So a really lazy day.  But that's the way it goes.  At least I am feeling better, thank goodness.

As always, with my love x




























































4 comments:

  1. Hey girl, I have finally caught up with your blog - every single one from January on ... I really should have been doing the ironing! lol The Man in the High Castle sounds interesting - I've just started recording the series SS:GB as it clashes with something else that we watch.
    I am so looking forward to spending some time with you when I come over in August - we can be 'Ladies wot Lunch' and plan what we're going to do when you come to see me!
    Okies, really MUST do some ironing - much love as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jackie. Blimey you must be bored, reading all that rubbish! SS:GB I did not like. I watched it and it finished and I thought Oh. I was none the wiser. It will be great to see you in August and I have a few things up my sleeve that we can be doing. But we will be very much Ladies Who Lunch and swan around lol. Love and hugs my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't been to Portabelo in years; i was just thinking about it the other day. Not so many bargains to be had but always good for snooping around and taking photos.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah. Yes it was OK but very touristy I think. But worth a look and like you say I always have some photos to take and a book to read XX

    ReplyDelete