Monday 5 June 2017

I have an audience with the pope and I'm saving the world at eight but if she says she needs me she says she needs me everybody is going to have to wait (Audience With The Pope - Elbow)

I am saving the world at eight! Well not at eight but this has been a charitable weekend in more ways than one.  Which is ironic really as it is Volunteer's Week. As many of you may know, I have spent most of my career working with volunteers and I have always said, they are the backbone of our society and many things would never take place with out the time and dedication volunteers give to various charities and organisations.  So to all of you, who are saving the world at eight, or any other time - thank you!  As always, enjoy.





Saturday:  No lazy start today. No sitting in bed drinking coffee and watching Versailles. Today I was up early, washed and dressed on the bus to the East. Today I started my training for my voluntary work.  I made this decision to volunteer a few weeks ago.  I have the time and you know me, always want to help people.  I remember Megan saying when she was in around Year 2 that her Daddy makes things with wood and her Mummy helps people.  I am sure she would have a completely different opinion now.

The irony of this tale is, where I volunteer is literally a stones throw (you can see it) from her University.  How cruel can fate be.  I really enjoyed the training and it was good to meet some different and interesting people.  I did not go straight home but stayed on the bus and went to Oxford Street.  I was going to buy a gift for someone but spent the money on new clothes.  Something that Andy thinks is hysterical and is going to remind me at every occasion.  So I purchased a new summer top and a summer frock.  I will address and re-balance this tomorrow.

Andy has been a good wife today.  He has cleaned the cooker and done the shopping and cooked dinner; whilst I was out with other men today.  All is well. He makes a lovely wife.  I thought it only right to do the dishes.  I mean, it is only fair really, isn't it?

What should have ended in a quiet night; turned into an horrendous evening. I went into the kitchen and got a notification on my Twitter to say there was an 'incident' at London Bridge. Within 2 minutes holy hell broke loose.  I have never seen or heard as many sirens in my entire life. I live on a main thoroughfare into London and a ten minute walk to London Bridge. There were unmarked police cars crossing over the central reservation, helicopters, ambulances, police cars, vans the lot. We followed it on the news whilst looking out of the window.  Awful, just awful.  All night and morning, there were just loads and loads of people walking up the road as the emergency services had sent them our way.  The cordon had been stretched as far as the road opposite my flat. It was just awful. I finally got some sleep around 3.30am, sirens still going and woke around 6.00am watching it unfold on the news.  Words fail me. This, for me, is personal.  London Bridge and Borough Market are my neighbourhood.  This is where my library is, my dentist, I frequently go to Borough Market (OK and moan about the tourists but you get what I mean). This one was close and as always, totally pointless.  Sad times my friends; sad times.  But love ALWAYS wins.

Sunday:  I felt as if I had been up all night with a new born baby. Shattered. Watched the events on the news and answered numerous texts, messages and postings from friends in the USA to New Zealand (and in-between).  I was due to go out today and go out I will.

I met my friend Emma at the bus stop and we stopped for a sneaky coffee then caught the tube up to Maida Vale.  We were both attending a supporter's lunch for Shuktara, the little charity I support in India.  David (the founder) and I speak via Twitter and Instagram most days but have not actually met each other as he mainly lives in India. Today I met him. It was like meeting an old friend. I think he is one of the most selfless, genuine souls I have met and today I really needed to meet someone like him.

We all had an amazing lunch and David spoke about the children and young people in the homes he runs and how their lives are now rich in so many ways. Things you and I just take for granted like, hot water and acknowledgement. I was deeply moved and it just makes you realise that no matter what we do not have control over; we are still blessed and lucky in so many ways.

Back home I was very tired by now so it was a bit of catching up with Andy and I went to my room, where I had a good night's sleep - thank goodness.

As always, with my love x






2 comments:

  1. Great that you've found something worthwhile to volunteer with. I've done a few volunteer jobs in my time and have to say training was usually crap and often the job itself didn't seem to have much point. Sometimes I was doing things I really felt should be paid for and other times I was sitting around cos all the things that needed doing needed some kind of training that I didn't get. Great if you can find a little niche that works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. It is a cause very dear to my heart and as I have spent my whole career working with volunteers and training them, hopefully, they do not feel the same way about my training sessions, I thought I should spend some time supporting others xx

    ReplyDelete