Tuesday 20 June 2017

There's a hole in my neighbourhood Down which of late I cannot help but fall There's a hole in my neighbourhood Down which of late I cannot help but fall (Grounds For Divorce - Elbow)

This song makes me smile and ache. Last year I saw the 'Chinese cigarette case' mentioned in this song; but also it reminds me of me being in my study playing this song.  All that aside, a jolly good song.  Well in my opinion.  As always, enjoy.



Saturday:  It's hot.  I was going out today around 3.00pm so it was one of those strange mornings.  Too much time to do nothing but not enough time to do anything without ending up hot and sweaty.  I did have another offer to go out with Hannah and Emma but I had already made plans.

Went out to East Dulwich with one of my Meet Up groups.  We were going to three pubs, but I was not feeling the love.  It has been a long time since I have been out with this group and many of the 'original' people who attended no longer attend. I felt a bit out of place. Plus, the old self esteem is not exactly 100% at the moment so that doesn't help.  But hey, she dragged herself out there to be disappointed.  I was home for 9.00pm.

Sunday:  Hot again today, around 30 degrees.  I went out at lunchtime and sat in the grounds of Guy's Hospital reading my book in the shade; it was lovely. I went to light a candle for my Dad for Father's Day but there were no candles there.  I had to smile.  It could only happen to me. My Dad would have laughed too.

Walked to Borough Market, which was opened to day to help the traders make up some earnings for the time it was closed.  I saw some of the floral tributes; the first at Guy's then a few scattered around the market.  It really makes you stop and think.  Went and got my mushroom pate and had a good chat to the stall holder there about recent events.  Went for coffee where my friend Jackie and I went when she was over from New Zealand.  It is good coffee and it makes me smile as it is right opposite Bridget's flat.  I was also taught a good lesson sitting there.  A couple come and sat at the table next to me.  He was about my age and she was slight younger and Asian. He was vile. He said things like 'don't you go and spend all my money', 'look at some of these women what they are wearing, just because the sun is out', 'listen, I am telling you, you will like it' and so on and so forth.  He went to the toilet and I so wanted to say to her, look love, do one he is a knob. He come back and continued with his sexist, patriarchal runts. I really did have to stop myself for thanking him for teaching me a lesson that I am better off on my own thank stuck with a complete and utter tosser like him.   

I walked around the market again and then down Borough High Street and saw some bunting and heard some music and went up Union Street to a street party. It was one of the events in honour of Jo Cox and it was such a lovely
atmosphere. There was music and stalls and such a lovely atmosphere.  It is ironic how recently all the awful things that had happened just up the road at Borough Market; and now so much love, with people coming together.  I also found the most beautiful pottery that I really, really wanted.  However, I have nowhere to put it and I am still trying to get rid of 'stuff' let alone buying it. I had a lovely chat with the stall holder and I really hope that this lovely pottery finds a wonderful new home. I also, finally, went into Cross Bones, which was open even though it was a Sunday (it is not normally open at weekends).

This place has a very sad and checkered history.  In 1598, historian John Stow mentions a 'single woman's churchyard for medieval sex workers'.  These
women were not 'entitled' to a christian funeral. By Victorian times, Cross Bones was a pauper's burial ground, which formed part of a cholera infested slum where even the police would not go.  Cross Bones closed in 1853 as it was said to be 'completely overcharged with the dead'.  The graveyard was long forgotten until in the 1990s when London Underground built an electricity sub-station for the Jubilee Line extension.  The Museum of London archaeologists removed 148 skeletons and some of the skeletons were exhibited at the Museum.  More than 60% of the skeletons found at Cross Bones were those of children.  I sat for some time, just reflecting on how difficult life can be.  A really emotionally and thought provoking place.

Walked back home and sat in one of the 'Open Gardens' that were open to the public this weekend. I walk pass this garden so many times and it was lovely to find some shade and to sit in it today; again reading my book.  It really has been a lovely day.


As always, with my love x

2 comments:

  1. Yes I do think most of those meet ups are more trouble than they're worth. It's strange that a lot of people who go to them bring friend and then spend all their time talking to their friends. That's been my experience a lot of the time anyway. But then I'm not a fan of the small talk anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah you are so right, it is about finding the right group. To be totally honest, at the moment, I am refusing to invest my time in 'stuff' that I do not get anything back in return; hence returning to further education. Safe travels xx

    ReplyDelete