Sunday 27 August 2017

You put that spell on me I'll tell you, honey You know you set me free (Do It To Me - Lionel Richie)

Found this one and I had forgotten about it.  Beautiful words, lovely meaning. Cuddle up with your love one and enjoy.


Monday:  So my week off starts with a trip down 'memory lane'.  In fact, it was a bit of a head fuck.  As if I don't have enough of that going on in my 'normal' life, I thought I would just add some new shit to think about.  I went down to visit my friend Jackie who is staying with her son in Kent.  The first lot of tears were when we arrived at Gravesend.  My home town.  I keep saying that I will go back one day then think, nah, why put myself through it.  I can see why now. The next stop was Strood, where I was changing trains. Now this may not mean much to you, but this is my old stomping ground, with husband number one.  It was really weird seeing where you used to live, your first home (at the ripe old age of 19.  If only .......).  I remember standing on the platform of the railway station every morning to catch the 7.00am train to Charing Cross.

I then went past my second home with husband number one (you can see the head fuck really taking place now can't you).  Sigh.  It was quiet emotional to be honest. A really weird feeling of where have all the years gone and what have I done?  So much, yet so little.  Strange.

When I first met Jackie, her son was around 7 years old and here he was today, in his own home with his lovely partner and their new born daughter.  Like I said, where have the years gone?  They have such a beautiful home and daughter and it was so good to see Jackie again.  However, the day flew by and it was soon time for the long farewell.  I felt for her.  I could understand totally her pain and heartache.  It made me feel so sad for time wasted and goodbyes that really should not be.

Train journey home and back to the flat. What an emotional day, in more ways than one.

Tuesday:  Spent the whole morning laughing and chatting and we finally managed to get out of the house.  We caught the bus up to Belgravia and had a mooch around. We then went to Eaton Place.  For those of you who do not know, this is the setting for Upstairs Downstairs.  OK, most of it was filmed on a set but for outside scenes they painted a one in front of the 65.  Upstairs Downstairs is one of my most favourite programmes of all time. I have watched it so many times, I cannot begin to count.  I love this era too and really should have been born in it.  Upstairs of course.  However, I think I would have been downstairs.

We then caught a bus up to Bloomsbury (where I should be living) and went for some sushi.  This is the first time Jackie had tried it and she loved it.  I took her to see my new college so that she can visualise me pulling my hair (what there is left of it) out for the next two years.  Back home to the flat. We had walked miles.

In other news, Andy's sister had her baby today, a little boy called Dylan.  Which means he will be away for the Bank Holiday weekend.

Wednesday: We finally left the flat and caught the bus up to Soho and went for a very early dinner at Mildred's.  I do like this restaurant as I can have anything on it.  It is all vegetarian with a lot of it even vegan.  Such a treat. We had a good walk around Soho and China Town and then sat in the park in Leicester Square watching the world go by amongst all the mayhem, laughing and chatting.

Tonight we had tickets for The Book of Mormon.  I had intended treating Jackie to a night at the theatre but wanted her to decide what to see as it was her treat.  Without any prompting by me, she chose this. I have seen it before but thought it was absolutely brilliant and was so excited to be able to see it again.

We laughed and laughed.  It is so bad.  It offends everyone.  There are a couple of songs in it that really make me laugh so much.  By the end of the evening my whole face ached. Such a tonic and fond, fond memories of a great night out.

Thursday:  The week is going too quick.  We started off our day at 'our cafe' in Borough Market.  We went there last time Jackie was over and every time I go there now I think of her.  The guy who served us was so lovely and we sat, watching the world go by and looking at Bridget's flat (it is just opposite) laughing about how strange life turns out.  We had a quick look around Borough Market and I finally found some mangosteens.  I was talking to the guy on the stall as he had no idea what they were or what they tasted of.  So I gave him a quick lesson.  So funny.

After this we went to Crossbones.  Jackie was telling me about a book she was reading and that this was mentioned it it. She could not believe it was just up the road from my home, so we had to go and see it (I have been before).  It really is a moving and historical place and well worth a second visit.

We then went to The Tate Modern and went to see two exhibitions.  The first was Soul of a Nation: Art in the age of a nation.  It was very good but not a good idea to see it the day after seeing the Book of Mormon.  Then we went to see (again for me) Giacometti.  Jackie remembers seeing some of his work when she was a teenager and it was so good for her to see so much more of his amazing creations.  We went up to the Member's Bar for a drink then caught the bus home.  

Pizza and chatting and a night in.  We were both so tired.  Also, everyone leaves me tomorrow to go on their journeys so it was good to touch base.

Friday:  The day of reckoning.  The week is up.  Andy left to go home to take up his Uncle duties.  Jackie packed, unpacked and packed again.  Too much stuff.  So much so, she had to buy another case.  I was dreading the trip to Heathrow for so many reasons.

We left the flat at four; bouncing her large suitcase down the 48 steps to my flat.  The tube was rammed and the journey was vile.  We could not even sit together.  We checked in her bags and she was only .5kg over. Nothing was said. We went for a coffee and looked at the flights coming up on the screen.  Talking about where we would like to go.  As if.  

Then the time come to say our goodbyes.  I hate goodbyes these days.  People come into my life then leave.  It is as simple as that and it does not get any easier.  We hugged and cried and cried and hugged and then she was gone. I felt so alone. But I am alone.  Back on the tube and home to an empty flat. But like every other person in my life; I have the memories.


As always, with my love x






2 comments:

  1. I wondered what had happened to you; I kept thinking I had missed something.
    No I hate goodbyes too; sometimes it seems that's all there is. But you'll be back to New Zealand really soon, won't you? It's funny when you first mentioned it it seemed so far away and now it's only a couple of months. Like you say, where does the time go?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. I am still here, just a glitch and hopefully all well now. Yes goodbyes do not get any easier. It is only 74 days until I go to NZ and I have five stone to loose. So all going to plan. I hope all is well with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete