Saturday 22 July 2017

Islands in the stream That is what we are No one in-between How can we be wrong Sail away with me to another world And we rely on each other, ah-ah From one lover to another, ah-ah (Islands in the Stream - Bee Gees)

I love this song. This song always reminds me of my dear friend Steve who I used to work with.  I went out with him one night with his partner and friends to their local pub and really do not remember getting home.  We sang karaoke to this and we were terrible but thought we were so good.  He always used to call me gorgeous and gave the best hugs ever!  When I used to get to work on Monday and had a terrible weekend living in exile; he used to hold me so tight. I miss him terribly.  He died just before I come to live in London, far too young. So here's to you Steve you will always be my Dolly!  As always, enjoy.



Monday:  A very eventful day.  This afternoon I had an interview at Birkbeck College.  To say I was nervous would be a slight understatement.  However, there was no need to be.  Dr Carmen Mangion is the Department Head and it was her who I had met at the Open Evening and she remembered me.  She said it was great to see me again and that my Personal Statement was one of the best she had every received. I was really taken back.  They are still awaiting a reference from my employer but she was happy to give me an offer there and then.  I told her I was delighted, excited and terrified.  Very much how I have lived the past six years.

I come out of her office and cried. It was a tad emotional to be honest. This was the course I could only dream of when I was studying for my undergraduate degree.  I lived in the North, there was no way I could get down to London each week to study.  It was never going to happen and now it is.  I just thought it was sad that terrible events had to happen for something good to come from it. I guess it was another one of those pinch yourself moments. Who would have thought it, me studying for my Master's.  Now what shall I do my dissertation on?

Back home and Andy was so pleased and proud of me, so I cried again.  Just emotions all over the place but its OK. So finally, at the ripe old age of 29 (57 as I will be then) I will have the student/university experience and I intend enjoying every minute of it.

Tuesday:  Very close again in London and I had to trek out to virtually Bromley. I knew I was in the sticks as I could smell grass!  What a journey.  It was also so close too.  I was pleased to get home.  Quiet evening which resulted in a thunder storm at 2.00am.

Wednesday:  Busy but productive day and very overcast and stormy skies which resulted in .........nothing.  Had the first wobble of the University
studying.  I engaged, once again, with the work of Judith Butler.  There was not one page where I did not have to look up a word!  In the end I wrote down the words (with meanings) that I did not know and now intend using them in my first essay.  Very daunting though.  But its OK, I will do this.  I had my conditional offer in today and emailed my manger for the reference. He come back to me and will get it done by the end of the week.  So the journey beginnings.

Thursday:  Day started with a chest x-ray to eliminate anything sinister re: continual cough then spent the day working at the hospital.  I do this once a month.  It was good to share some banter and laughs with colleagues.  Finished the afternoon off by having a lovely manicure.  Back home started to get my head around the wonderful world of Judith Butler.  I am sure we are going to be the best of friends by Christmas.

Friday:  Good day today. Productive work wise and at home. Cleaned all the windows and washed the nets and started a bit of a Spring clean.  You can tell I am feeling better as I have more energy and are not coughing.  I know it is the steroids and are rather anxious about what happens when I stop taking them, so making the most of it whilst I have the breath and the energy.  Just a bloody nuisance.

Went to bed and saw that Goodfellas was on the TV again.  I saw part of this when I was seeing Dave and thought it was a good film.  Since then, I have seen bits of it then fell asleep and once again, tonight was no different.  It looks such a good film and I will now buy it on DVD so I can actually watch it from start to finish.

Oh and since I decided to use this song this week, I have heard it three times on the radio.  Steve, my dear friend, you are still with me - all my live and hogs x

As always, with my love x


2 comments:

  1. Oh it's great that you are going to Uni. Hope it offers lots of interesting opportunities for you (I mean meeting new interesting people and learning exciting new stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. Yes it is very exciting and terrifying at the same time. I will need a new pencil case and start sewing my name in my clothes. I hope all is well with you. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete