Tuesday 17 October 2017

'Cause they took the keys - and she'll think it's me And I'm down in the tube station at midnight The wine will be flat and the curry's gone cold I'm down in the tube station at midnight Don't want to go down in a tube station at midnight (Down In A Tube Station At Midnight - The Jam


I have never blogged a Jam song before, but thought this one was quite fitting.  As always, enjoy.






Saturday:  Usual start to the day.  We called in East Street Market on the way home and I brought some cockles. It took me back to being a child as Sundays were always a trip to the seafood man, who had a stall outside of local pub.  Then when I got older, the seafood man would call in the pubs, with his huge wicker basket selling cockles, mussels, eel, prawns crab, the lot. Andy did not have a clue what I was on about and seeing the stall in the market brought it all back to me.  I purchased half a pint of cockles and we had them late on in the evening.  Andy had never had them before, and kind of liked them.  I love them a bit of vinegar and pepper and I was away.  Would never have got them in the same way in Stoke.

So later on in the afternoon I went to do my volunteering role. I really enjoy doing this, I get such a lot out of it and feel as if I am doing something worthwhile. However, today it was a bit upsetting a we had some terrible news. I guess it is inevitable when working with people in this field.  It just brings it all back home to you how fragile we all are.

Back home and dinner done and dusted, time again to kick back. I watched Pride tonight. I love that film, it makes me laugh and cry all at the same time. I am old enough to remember people dying from HIV and the prejudice they, and still do, suffer from the ignorance of others.  I have to smile as the bookshop in the film, Gay's the word, is now just down the road from my college and stocks all the books I need for my course. Funny how we go on these little adventure or these adventures follow us.

Sunday:  Started the day off by watching one of my Scandinavian Noir programmes, this one was Beck, my favourite.  It is amazing how many people get killed in Sweden.  Had some non-uni paperwork to do this morning but it is OK I am up to date with my reading. 

This evening it was part of my birthday treat.  We went to Hackney Wick (near to the Olympic Stadium and other ghosts from Christmases past) to a fringe theatre to see 'Naked Men Reading' and it was very much what it said it was on the tin.  Needless to say, there were not many women in the audience but that is very much my life these days and the 'boys' were lovely.  I got chatting to one of them who had delivered a reading and he was so lovely. At least I got a hug and kiss from a naked young man.  Andy said he swears if he comes home and I have one of the 'boy's sitting in the lounge reading Foucault or a feminist theorist such as Judith Butler to me, he will go loose it.  Personally, it sounded ideally to me :). It was such a fun evening, much laughter and very, very, to the point but I am comfortable with that.  However, I did find myself going through my friendship list thinking who else would fee comfortable with this and could only think of one person.  So funny. We were both tired so straight to our rooms.  We are off work tomorrow a we thought it would be a good idea to not have to rush round.  Such a good move and such a good weekend.

As always, with my love x


4 comments:

  1. Naked man eh? Where's my blindfold. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ian. It was a very enlightening evening :) I hope all is well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to enjoy cockles and such when I was younger, but these days there's something about the taste that makes me feel a little sick. I can remember driving up to Southend and going to the cockle sheds there back in the 80s.
    Well, I'd be ok with watching naked men read, although whether I'd want to is another matter. I saw something similar in the Kind's Head Islington a while ago; I read a review in time out but somehow missed the gay connection and was surprised to find I was the only woman there (until the play started, when I realised why there were so many lone males in the audience).
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah. Yes there is something nostalgic about cockles isn't there? We used to go to Southend on a Sunday for a 'run out in the car' as you did in our childhood and have fond memories of going to the Peter Pan playground and then having cockles and if we stayed late, some chips too. Fond memories. I smiled at you wondering while there were so many men in the audience at your Naked Men Reading experience. It made me chuckle. Bless. Safe travels xxx

    ReplyDelete