Saturday 1 April 2017

My record would be number one and I'd sell records by the ton all sung by many other fellows. My name would then be handsome Jack and I'd sell boats of opium Whiskey that came from Twickenham (Jacky - Marc Almond)

I have had this song as an ear worm now for about two weeks.  If I already had not been awarded my Gay PhD I would do my dissertation on this song.  It is so flamboyant.  I want to get dressed up like Shirley Bassey, with boa, and sing this at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern on open mike night.  I would be adored. The boys would love me and I would be Jacky.  Get your glitter, sprinkle your sparkle and sing darlings, sing. As always, enjoy.



Monday:  What a day and it is only Monday!  I actually got my out of office reply all ready to roll today as by 10.30am I had enough!  Running around South East London again and back home for lunch at 3.30! Yes, I know.  Like I say it is only Monday.  If I only were Jacky lol.

Tuesday:  Home working today and a difficult day in some ways.  All sorted so just a quiet night.

Wednesday:  I was in a holiday mood today!  To say I was counting down the hours would be an understatement.  It was a really lovely sunny day too.  About time.

Thursday:  Annual leave I had to take or lose it.  So I took it.  Up and out and on my way to The Tate, one of my favourite places in London.  As some of you may know, I took up a membership with The Tate in December which means I get into all the exhibitions free of charge.  Such a treat.  So today I went to look at the Hockney exhibition.  Unfortunately, I could not take you any photos.  It was so busy too.  I really do think that they do let so many people in a times. However, I will try to go back again and take another look before it finishes in April.

Spent time mooching around The Tate.  Called in to see 'my girls' the pre-raphaelite art.  I used to dream doing this when I was in exile in the north. Found some wonderful modern art too which I took a shining too.  Then I decided to go to the Member's Room and have lunch. Quiche and salad and sat there for a while reading my book.  I have started to read again and I am really enjoying it.  By now the sun was shining so I went to sit in Millbank Gardens and enjoyed the sunshine whilst reading my book.  Caught the bus East as I had to be somewhere later on.  It is funny how life just repeats itself. Where I need to be was Mile End Road which is near to Dave's gallery but also just a few hundred yards from Queen Mary's University where Meg studied.  Why are you surprised? How big is London? I never gravitate to the North or East.  I decided to find coffee and ended up at Mile End where, last summer, once again, I met up with Bart, The American. I just rolled my eyes and smiled.  The Universe can be very naughty at times.  I sat in Costa reading my book and was rather content.

I decided then to make my way to where I needed to and sat outside Queen Mary's reading my book.  I saw this 'guy' approaching me and he asked if he could sit next to me just as the clock by the University struck 6.00pm.  I head myself say I was just going. He said I was lovely, so big, so strong, beautiful ....... he was 80 if he was a day. Such a cheeky smile.  Only I could get chatted up by an old bloke ........ sigh.  Talk about kick someone when they are down. Well at least this time I was not down as I did manage to stay on my feet this time.

Tonight I was attending an Open Evening at Positive East, an HIV charity. As many of you will know, HIV is something that has been very dear to my heart since the 1980's where I have always felt very passionate about challenging the stigma attached to it.  It was such a lovely charity. Beautiful premises.  I was made to feel very welcome.  They had four panels of the HIV/AIDS quilt on display and it never ceases to amaze and upset me the ages of those people who died in the early days.  Of course I remember it all happening.  We watched a small video promoting the work they do and there were some presentations by the staff and then and Q&A session.  I then asked about volunteering with them. I explained to the Volunteering Manager there that I have worked with volunteers for over 20 years and feel that now, I have some time, albeit limited, to help if I could.  I think he thought all his Christmases had come at once when he heard my career history.  Hopefully, something will come of this, so watch this space.

Back home and a quick catch up and time for bed.  It had been a very busy but good day.

Friday:  I can never sleep in.  I always have good intentions, but it never happens. So there I was again, on the bus at 10.30. This is the first time I have been over Westminster Bridge since the terrorist attack.  It was full of flowers. Then I saw something that really moved me.  A flamboyant trans woman walked up to two police officers and gave them some flowers.  They stood and chatted then all three of them walked to put the flowers along with the others.  It was very moving.

Off the bus at Marble Arch and let the shopping begin.  It never ceases to amaze me how many Middle Eastern men there are shopping for woman's clothes when I go to Oxford Street.  I will just park that comment there. I had a blitz and purchased five, yes five, pairs of various trousers for the summer.  The thing is, if I do not buy them now by the time I want them they would have sold out. Crazy but true.  Lunch at Pizza Express (huge superfood salad) and then back home.  Quiet night watching Master Chef and other such rubbish that we record.  But all is well my friends, all is well.

As always, with my love x 


Interest piece of Art at The Tate


2 comments:

  1. Yes they do let too many people in those exhibitions, when you consider they're £20 or something.
    I was going to go to the Hockney but afraid I may have seen it already in Melbourne. Does it have lots of iPads showing the paintings being made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah Yes it sounds like the same exhibition. It was very good and I will, I hope, get back to take another look. That is the good thing with membership; at least I do not have to keep paying! xx

    ReplyDelete